Located at 6 North Laurel Street in the heart of VCU’s Monroe Park campus, the newly-renamed Altria Theater, formerly The Mosque and Richmond's Landmark Theater, is one of the best-known and most striking buildings in Richmond.
Opened in 1927 as an entertainment venue owned and operated by the ACCA Temple, the Altria Theater was designed by architects Marcellus Wright, Sr., Charles M. Robinson and Charles Custer Robinson, with original plans including four lounges, six lobbies, 18 dressing rooms, 42 hotel rooms, a gymnasium, locker rooms, a pool, a three-lane bowling alley, offices and a restaurant called “The Mosque Grill” in addition to the theater itself.
In 1940, the building was sold to the City of Richmond and was later renamed Richmond's Landmark Theater in 1995 after a $5 million renovation.
And although the current renovations will continue until completion in November 2014, the theater remains open for shows and events. When completed, the complex will see improvements in the building’s infrastructure, acoustics systems and many patron-centered amenities such as renovated restrooms and concession options.
Some of America’s greatest entertainers have appeared on stage beneath its towering minarets and desert murals. With seating capacity at 3,600 and a stage to accommodate the largest productions, this theater is a great complement to the other CenterStage venues downtown.
|2016-12-01 18:30:00 (Ended)||Mannheim Steamroller Christmas||Find Tickets|
|2016-12-09 19:00:00 (Ended)||Elf - The Musical||Find Tickets|
|2016-12-09 19:00:00 (Ended)||Elf||Find Tickets|
|2016-12-09 19:00:00 (Ended)||Elf The Musical||Find Tickets|
|2016-12-10 13:00:00 (Ended)||Elf||Find Tickets|